8.16.2007

iPodcity



This began as visual documentation of the experience in purchasing my iPod.
I ventured to the Apple store during my lunch hour. There are three major roadways that extend toward the Apple store, located at Northpark Mall, in Dallas. It was an unusual experience in which the web browser at the store was down due to a press conference? I state this with a question because the employees themselves were puzzled by the situation. So unable to buy my iPod, I traveled back up highway 75 to my office tower.
After work, I made my way back to the Apple store where more technical problems ensued. The pre-approved credit line I was offered had difficulties processing. The clerk phoned the credit company, I verified I was who I claimed to be, discussions began between the clerk, the manager, the credit representative all on how to get the purchase to process.
After this comical situation I set out the door with that all important bag, wielding and watching the wonder in the eyes of those I passed. With my apple store bag in hand I soon realized I was part of the Apple customer base again. I am creative, smart, and I feel successful (with this purchase at least). I am part of the innovative; we will listen to our iPods on our way to work in the subway or with a nifty cable in our cars. To select AUX on my Scion stereo for the first time and hear my music; it was a glorious day I, even with the current heat, had to share with others by rolling my windows down. And then someone with better speakers came by to drown out my experience with their tunes.
This poster is a commentary on how the city changes in response to our technological culture; it is becoming a part of our actual landscape. I round out this dialogue with a post script; the next morning I stopped in my buildings’ starbucks before work, the baristas were talking about a coworkers’ iPod, ooo-ing and ahh-ing over the iPod.; with a smile I took my coffee and walked out, my iPod was waiting in the car.

5 comments:

bac dmarch said...

Kara,

Scion, Starbucks, ipod - you've hit them all. Our individuality is bombarded with social groupings based on brand. I'm not sure what you mean by "how the city changes in response to our technological culture; it is becoming a part of our actual landscape". From your ipod city sketch I get - windows up, I can see the world around me, and listen. We are one technological group, together in our separation. It's provocative.

As you might see by now, we are going to be looking at packaging, tracking, shipping. So the you tube piece was presentient. Keep thinking about this as it will gain traction later in the semester.

Rick E said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amr Raafat said...

Kara,

After looking carefully at your project.
I belive your project creats a harmony with the surroundings given in the Coply Square site!
the T, MBTA the very bostonian Logo, that you transfered it from the unique circle with the T inside to an apple!

I wonder how your building would mix them both.
by other words, how your apple store programming, design and operating, would handle the existance of the T as a major player in your building Equation.
I am afraid that the power of the T as a very popular, less profit method of transportation. cover the power of the apple!

are you building a store in the T stop? or building a T stop in the store?

how you would overlap your plans to not contradict with the Two giants???

Hope you pay more attention to the rest of the project concepts inside and not only towards the corner (the intersection with the T station)!!!!

Great Job, keep it up!

Thanks

Amr

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment Amr. I have every intention to expand the station into a store, although, with the true focus of the existing needs; a subway station. Apple will profit from the subculture that exists in the city. I stand by the question of whether this is a tragedy to demolish the bookstore or progress. The bookstore vs. the computer giant? It is an interesting concept of evolution of the intellectual; the individual, the city dweller and the suburbanite. Thanks for your comments and support.

Amr Raafat said...

Kara,
1- The Merging with the T is a Regional Idea that created an emotional corner, that is being so succesful.

2-Does the Sculpture form above the ground taking excuse?!!!!!!

3- Positive or negative excuse???!

4- The SIMPLICITY OF THE UNDERGROUND MASS (succsesful). doesnt feel the same degree of complexity of the building above the ground.(function shifted?)

5- Keep it simple!

6-You should learn from the lesson of the paris metro, where you see a fake greeko roman status down below, that have nothing to do with the above!

7-The Idea of exiting and entering the T through your building was very well received.


8-How you support your building??? Structure!

9- What scale would be the project seen by drivers and pedestrians? visually?

10-seek more elegant and refine the Mass above the ground.

11-Regarding to the context you might think about the tiny building Idea!

12-The above floor building should have a logic, please check the Oldham train station.
and the frankfurt museaum of art.

Your Building was very well received Yesterday and impressive emotionally, turning all the T loovers to be Apple lovers, how lucky are the Apple, Inc!!!!!!!!