9.17.2007

Section through Dartmouth St





Since the last blog I have been assigned to a project, currently relocating within my office, and I have switched to sketch up 6 for my home and office computer. A lot of changes are going on and with this my little girl and I are trying to establish a rhythm. We are learning kindergarten here and then there is soccer...

I have been reading the posts and I am not sure how comments may or may not have been misconstrued. I think the blog is an open forum, and while I may sometimes not agree with some of the comments I do learn from them all.

This weekend, I began to question a ramp while refining and prepping for sections. I do realize I have an opportunity to slope the floor in the above ground of the apple store towards the street. I think this would provide a reason for the planar change for the "bobbing heads" effect. This is my next order of business and then I will cut more sections to illustrate the change. I also completed the bar code mullions which are modeled in brushed aluminum and with black paint
finish. I left a portion of Darmouth st. without the effect as well as the storefront on Boylston st. as I have the window available for the large digital map that would provide real time train information to the public. In addition, I have stumbled onto additional research of a train station in Japan which equips advertisements in its metro with a code that patrons can scan with their phones to pull up maps to locate the business or restaurants advertising.

I also have given much thought to the packaging of the final project. I have also been inspired by an awesome article from pingmag.

Not the ordinary take-out...

3 comments:

Amr Raafat said...

Kara!
Hope all is great!
I won't bother much doing sections with photomontage background!
Unless it adds something, (the relation with the whole context!)
Also the photomontage takes more time.I am trying myself to devote the little time efforts in drawings that is effective, revealing and pleasant to look at.

In your project, I would do sections with different colors of background, for both the above and the underground volumes,

for instance:

Black, or dark grey background for the UNDERGROUND world part of the section while the drawings should be crisp white against the dark background.

White background for the
ABOVE GROUND world part of the section while the drawing lines should be crisp black against the white background.

well... I suggest that the line (ground line) should be like a hot color!!! orange, red since its the key aspect that makes the difference between the two different worlds!!!!
I would keep thinking about Ted's:
"The transition between the two with the glass floor and bobbing heads is an interesting melding of two otherwise disconnected worlds."

I still believe that if I were in your position I would focus on the above meaning! the Two otherwise DRY worlds!

Again, Perspectives with photomontage could be helpful but sections, I don't think so!

I like your examples of packages, both are very new and creative, I am looking forward to see yours! I wonder if the glass floor will help in your package as it does in your building!

I wonder if its ever possible to put your package on a table! since your model has the under table part!

The Packaging task is so much fun. Hope we all enjoy it.

Keep up the excellent work.

bac dmarch said...

Kara,

If any package needs a this side up indicator it will be yours. Top and bottom are essential and I am sure you will come up with a simple way to define these two. Keep the package simple. Conceptually your project is quite complex. If you get too distracted by the package your project will not present well. Keep it simple. I'd still like to see a simple section showing the interior of the subway portion. I think a section with and interior perspective would actually help. I agree with Amr, the exterior context is defined enough, let's keep looking inside the subway.

Unknown said...

Thank you,

I will look at a simple package. It actually fits the context, Apple packaging is simple. And yes, This End Up is necessary!

So we are all doing the skype? Is this the required method of review?